Vega Sports System: The First Complete, Natural, Plant-Based Sports Performance System
WOW now that’s a mouth full. Unfortunately I hardly ate more than a mouthful of some of their products.
So let’s get down to business.
I was asked by Cristina @ Vega if I would sample some of their sports performance products and review them on my blog. I agreed of course as although I am not a vegetarian the environmentalist in me loves the idea of using less animal products.
The package I was sent consists of 3 main components:
- Prepare – designed to get you in the zone!
- Sustain – providing immediate energy!
- Recover – replenishes your system!
What I loved:
- the Recover Protein Bars were amazing! I was sent a chocolate saviseed one and a chocolate coconut one and I wish I had a whole box! I loved them. However there was 30g of sugar in them, so how could you not? but on the plus side they were also both gluten free!
- I loved both of the sustain Electrolyte Hydrators the berry was better than the lemon/lime but I did notice that during my long runs I felt much better drinking that then just water. I also don’t like gatorade so this was a welcomed substitute.
- Loved that it was a Canadian product!
- I loved the sample box I got and would highly recommend it for anyone wishing to try this product. It had a great balance of what they offer at a reasonable price of $24.99
- The Recovery Accelerators were ok. I didn’t mind the taste but I can’t tell you whether they did anything magical or not. I really don’t know.
- Performance Protein was something I’m not used to having. That’s why it’s in the “didn’t mind” I actually wouldn’t drink these but I think most people that use protein drinks after a workout would. The vanilla didn’t taste bad, it was just something I’m not into.
- The Pre-workout Energizer just felt like I was drinking a gatorade before working out. I didn’t notice that it did anything more for me than coffee or tea, but who knows because I only tested these before my long runs on Sunday (the only early morning I workout)
- Endurance Gels were disgusting! Although I don’t like GU’s either so maybe it’s the texture again.
- Endurance Bars were by far the grossest. They remain uneaten, each with one bite out of it. Both the mocha and the acai berry tasted horrible. Once again, I’d rather have some PB and toast.
- The price. Vega is super expensive. I don’t think I could afford it. In fact I know I couldn’t.
Bottom line: Vega Sport System has some great pieces, some of which I would continue to use but as a whole it has too many, well, holes. It’s awesome that it’s plant based. Especially for the vegetarians out there. As an ex vegetarian I imagine that all the products would taste GREAT for you! As I distinctly recall liking things I never had before while depriving myself of meat 😉
Right now they are hosting a very cool Sweepstakes. I entered because the prizes are amazing!!!!! If you want to enter check out the details below…………
Vega Sport Sweepstakes
Enter to win the Vega Sport Sweepstakes with over $30,000 in prizes!
Sweepstakes Entry Period: January 3rd – March 31, 2012
One Grand Prize ($15,000 value)
- Vega Sport Adventure Trip for 2: Cycle, raft and explore your way through Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama for 15 days
- $5,000 in Vega Sport product
Ten Runner Up Prizes
- $1000 in Vega Sport products
Twenty Finalist Prizes
- $200 in Vega Sport products
Five Weekly Prizes (per week for 11 weeks)
- 1 Vega Sport product
**Weekly prize winners will be announced weekly via social media**
1. Have you tried Vega? if so, yay or nay?? if not, would you??