Yes, you read the title correctly. I happen to like Oreos and for whatever reason I have a box of Oreo crumbs (probably because the last time Colin wanted an oreo crust for my mudpie cupcakes I spent over an hour mashing Oreos with a fork).
Anyway, sometimes when I come up with an idea for a recipe I simply type it in good old google and see if there’s already an easy recipe I can follow and/or change….
One baking blog I really love, The Browneyed Baker had adapted this recipe from another blogger and I adapted it further to make the most beautiful Oreo cheesecake cookie ever!
- 1/2 butter
- 3/4 cup cream cheese (softened)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles (her recipe called for mini chocolate chips but I was all out due to eating them out of the bag 24/7)
- 1 cup Oreo crumbs or smashed Oreos
- Pre-heat oven to 375F and line cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl with a hand mixer or in your standing mixer cream together butter and softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in vanilla and sugar and continue to mix on medium speed until everything is fully incorporated.
- Slowly add in flour and mix until combined.
- Toss in chocolate chips or in my case, chocolate sprinkles and mix.
* Now neither the BEB or her source for the recipe had this step but I always find it necessary for rolling dough. To each their own – so skip it if desired.
6. Scoop dough out onto a sheet of waxed paper, top with another sheet & roll out into a pancake – toss in the freezer for 20-30 mins (until it is at a nice rolling consistency: hard but malleable)
7. Put the oreo crumbs into a small bowl and hand roll the cookie dough into balls and roll them in the crumbs. Placing them on cookie sheet.
8. Bake on the top rack for 12-15 mins or until the edges are golden brown.
9. Cool for 2-5 mins on the baking sheet and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
The end result is a cake-esq cookie that is delectable and simple.
I think if I were to do these again I would crunch up some Oreo cookies and put them in the dough in place of sprinkes/chocolate chips and then use the fine crumbs to roll. I think they would also be really nice as a cupcake?? maybe with some strawberry filling piped into them and a whipped cream icing 😀 YUM!
1. are you getting sick of all these recipes involving Oreos?! lol
2. are you a fan of cookies that are like small cakes?? or do you prefer the traditional ‘crunch’ of a classic cookie??
I love the crunchiness that is a classic cookie however, I really really enjoyed this recipe. Compared to some of the other cake-esq cookies I’ve tried, like the Espresso Snowcaps, I liked these way more