First off…..I would like to say, I used a box mix to make 24 cupcakes and it turned out AMAZING!!!!!! I don’t know that I’ll ever make cake from scratch again! Although here’s a great chocolate cake recipe if you’d prefer to do one from scratch. I hate when I find a recipe, visit the blog and half of it’s not there – so there you go, fellow googler 😉
So why did you come here if I’m just telling you to use a box mix??
I made, in my opinion, the most amazing chocolate frosting that has ever touched my lips.
It tasted like pudding
Chocolate Swiss Meringue Buttercream Icing:
- 5 eggs whites
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps of granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups butter at room temperature (chopped into tbsp sized cubes)
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted and cooled)
- Put egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Fill a large saucepan halfway with water and heat on the stove over medium heat.
- Put mixing bowl with egg whites and sugar over the sauce pan water and whisk constantly until sugar is completely dissolved. (it will feel smooth between your fingers)
- Remove from heat and pour into the mixer bowl (or leave in same bowl if using a handheld mixer)
- Mix on low with the whisk attachment until frothy.
- Slowly increase speed until soft peaks form.
- Reduce speed and slowly add one piece of butter at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding another.
- Once half of the butter is added you can increase mixing speed and toss the rest in.
- Increase speed and mix on high for 5 mins.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Stop mixing and using a spatula slowly fold in the melted chocolate chips until combined.
- Then change to the paddle attachment and mix slowly to remove air bubbles and until icing reaches desired consistency.
- If your icing it too soft, toss it in the fridge, but keep in mind that it will behave like butter, so don’t leave it too long or you will end up with hard icing.
- Toss in a piping bag and pipe!
1. Box mix or scratch??
2. what is the last thing you baked??