Last night I tried to make twice baked baked potatoes. It was an epic fail…..
…or was it?
I used normal yellow potatoes (5 of them) and not the baking kind so when I removed them from the oven, they weren’t cooked. sigh – off to the microwave they went.
The issue was that I had already mixed up all these amazing ingredients into a bowl:
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 pieces of cooked bacon
- chopped chives
- one slice of red onion – chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese – grated
- 1/4 cup of cream cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
so once the potatoes were cooked the skin was so thin I obviously couldn’t use them as baked potatoes – they weren’t baking potatoes.
So I did what any mom trying to make dinner does and I improvised….
- I already had the oven pre-heated to 350F
- I tossed the cooked/chopped potatoes in the bowl with all those yummy ingredients (left the skins on) and MASHED THEM!
- Then I threw them in a casserole dish and baked them for an hour.
The most heavenly, heart attack and lover-of-all-things-bad-for-you combination I’ve ever eaten ……
who needs the baked potato when you can just make the inside?!?!?!?
I loved it!!!!!!!!!
we had it with caesar salad, cucumber coins and Colins amazing fried chicken. YUM
not the healthiest of meals, but this isn’t a healthy eating blog 😉 I’m sure Char is happy we have a load of cheese back in our recipes
In other recipe news I made this awesome baked broccoli a few days ago and ate it all! It was so quick and easy too so I highly recommend it if you want to spice up a veggie for a side dish and don’t have a lot of time.
- a bunch of broccoli
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced (I used garlic salt instead and it was amazing)
- salt and pepper to taste (omit salt if you use garlic salt)
- 1/3 cup parm (shredded)
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- Pre-heat oven to 425F
- wash and chop broccoli into small pieces – toss in a bowl
- throw the rest of the ingredients in and toss until evenly coated
- spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet
- cook in the centre rack for 15 mins.
I felt like I was eating broccoli chips – so good!!!!
1. what have you been cooking up lately??
I also tried tackling the athletarian’s sweet potato chips, but I think I’d prefer them as fries – although Logan loved them so SCORE!!!
2. are you a broccoli fan??
I love broccoli but both Colin and Logan hate it. Logan always calls them “trees” and asks for it, but then spits it out as featured in this post.