I posted a photo of this dish on instagram (alimcspatula) and Kelly was asking for the recipe – if you can call a salad a recipe then I’ll post it
I also made the dressing using my SIL’s recipe. She made it while we were at the cottage and it tasted amazing! And it’s good for you
- 1/2 package of extra firm tofu – drained and rinsed.
- a steak or chicken rub of your choice (I used epicures’ as they don’t add sodium)
- garlic salt (unless you’re using something with really high sodium – then just use garlic powder)
- fresh chopped basil
- grape tomatoes
- white mushrooms
- romaine/mixed greens or baby spinach
- a SMALL zucchini – whenever you are eating it raw you must select a smaller one. Then it will taste sweet and the skin won’t be tough to chew
- red & green pepper
for the dressing:
- balsamic vinaigrette
- extra virgin olive oil
- dijon (or regular) mustard
- real maple syrup
* I left out measurements on this recipe because it’s all a matter of taste.
- Cut Tofu into desired size strips. I cut the block in half and then made about 14 strips.
- In a small bowl combine garlic salt, steak rub and any other spices you’d like to have on the tofu.
- Rub all over the tofu strips and place in a medium skillet on med heat /w a bit of olive oil in the pan.
- Cook until each side has a nice golden colour on it. Remove from heat.
- Wash greens and spin – toss in a big salad bowl.
- Cut all veg – feel free to add more things into the salad – sliced almonds or walmnuts would’ve gone nicely.
- Toss into the greens.
- To make the dressing mix equal parts balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil (I used about 1/2 cup each). Then add 2-3 big squirts of mustard. Finally adding maple syrup to taste. I probably added about 2 Tbsps. *Taste it and add more mustard, more syrup or both till you get a nice tangy taste.
- Mix into salad greens and save the rest in the fridge for up to a month.
- Place strips of tofu on top of salad and enjoy!!!
FYI – for those that were filling me in on how bad tofu is for me - I had to eat the other half of the block
1. have you ever eaten raw zucchini??
I hadn’t until the other day and found out it tastes so amazing!!!! I’m so sheltered
2. do you ever make your own dressing???
LEAVE ME THE RECIPE BELOW PLEASE