I had such an amazing time away. The weather was fab! The friends were fun! the running was so cool! the food was amazing! and I could seriously build myself a little hut and live on the French River for the rest of my life.
….note to Colin: build me a hut. Thanks, Ali xo
Logan had a blast and there is really far too many stories and photos that I wouldn’t even want to bombard you with them all. So hey! let’s do a classic RWS photo roll summary! you’re welcome, I know how much you guys like those
1. Drinking. Definitely the highlight of my weekend. What? were you expecting something else on this blog? sorry. This mom doesn’t party enough and so winning a tequila shooting contest is definitely something I’m bragging about.
2. Water. Frank Ocean said it best; “why see the world, when you’ve got the beach?” I feel complete contentment when I’m next to and/or in water. Logan definitely loved every second of it and one of our friends was just learning how to swim at 30, so know-it-all’s like me, love to teach people things
3. Food. Right from the meal planning down to the eating this trip was the epitome of good, wholesome foods. We definitely had to fuel our bodies, with all the booze we were consuming. I made a few new things that I will definitely be sharing on the blog, quinoa butternut squash risotto being one of them
* what sucks is that on the way home I caved and got Wendy’s lol I am beginning to notice how crappy I feel and how my face breaks out after eating junk food. <— i’ve changed so much!
4. Wildlife. I know I don’t discuss my love of nature too much on the blog but I LOVE everything about it. I love the sun and how it gives us all life, right down to the bugs. Exception: the paper wasps we spray bombed oops! but seriously I like mostly everything outside. I don’t like to brag but I can identify over 200 species of plants, trees and shrubs and most native benthic invertebrates and wildlife. I’m awesome.
* I’m the loser that was yelling ”OMG a Northern Water Snake!” as opposed to “snake” He even did a turn over so I could confirm my guess by his checkerboard belly
5. Exercise. From 7km trail runs where I literally ran into a deer (did you know they make sounds?! I didn’t….till I heard it) to sun salutations with Kate on the dock this trip had it covered. I don’t know if swimming after a milk bag or running over rocks to find your sandals that your toddler tossed in the water are dailymile worthy, but they definitely should be.
6. Good Friends. I love Ryan and Kathryn and they are very dear to both me and Colin. Logan loves them too and it’s clear they feel the same way. They do tons for us and our family and a trip to the cottage isn’t complete without them. They brought up two new friends, Mike and Kate and the energy mix couldn’t have been better. I loved every second of our time together. New BFF’s for sho
7. The Night. Stars, planets, the moon, you name it! We saw it. Mike brought up his awesome telescope and it was seriously one of the coolest experiences of my life. All I could think about when I saw the moon close up was how cool it must’ve been to walk on it. Yes, I’m not ashamed to admit that “walk on the moon” is now on my bucket list.
* Colin took this with his iphone held up to the eye piece.
8. Logan. Obviously a weekend away with friends would probably be pretty amazing if you didn’t have a 2.5 year old to run after….BUT he sure made it a lot more fun. I loved that he tossed my sandals in the river and didn’t tell me till I asked him where they were…..2 hours later. I love that he’s at an age where I can show him things in nature and he can get excited about it. I love that he likes the water and feels comfortable in the outdoors.
If I learned anything from this trip it’s that yoga needs to be in my life and I need to show Logan more of the outdoors while eating and preparing great wholesome food. It’s just what makes me happy
1. did you miss me??
I know it sounds weird but I missed you guys. I think it’s funny how much I think about my blog friends
2. yoga? – YAY or NAY?? what kind? how often?
3. have you ever looked through a telescope? what did you see??
I’ve seen saturn, jupiter, some galaxies, stars, mars, the moon. I think that’s it. I really want to see my made up constellation: triangulis.