I’ve been wanting to share this recipe with you guys for a long time. It’s actually one of the first recipes I created all on my own when I started delving into the kitchen.
It does take a little extra time throwing it together but I assure you, the results are worth it. This is quite similar to my Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts but they’re breaded
* the measurements are approximate so use your best judgement *
- 4-6 thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- 1/3 – 1/2 of a red bell pepper.
- 1 thick slice of a red onion.
- 1 garlic clove minced.
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- dash of basil and pepper.
- 3-4 heaping Tbsp’s of light cream cheese * use judgement.
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs (I season mine with oregano, parsley, thyme and basil)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Make sure chicken breasts are thawed*
- Chop onion and pepper and garlic
- In a small skillet or saucepan add olive oil and the onion and pepper. Sauté until cooked through, add garlic and fresh basil.
- Remove from heat and put in bowl. Add the cream cheese and mix. Toss in the fridge (this step is not necessary but it makes things easier)
- Get out three bowls (that you can dip the chicken into) put the flour in one, the egg with the milk in the next (mix) and the bread crumbs and seasoning on the last.
- Get the chicken and cut nice little “pockets” into the breasts. See pictures below.
- Grab the cream cheese mixture and spoon into the breasts.
- Close breasts using as many toothpicks as you need to – they can be removed later.
- Take each breast by itself and first coat with flour, then dip in the egg/milk, then into the bread crumbs until coated. * check out my breaded chicken recipe for tips *
- Place chicken toothpicks UP on a baking sheet (that way it won’t leak until it’s already half cooked)
- Continue until all breast are coated and on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the centre rack for 20 mins, turning once at 10 mins.
- Serve with veggies, a salad or rice.
1. what’s your favourite chicken dish??
2. what’s for dinner tonight??
Most likely pizza, as we either buy or make it every Friday!