GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED!
Thank you for everyone who participated and to Entrix Sports for the donation. If you’re interested in purchasing a pair of Altra Intuition’s for yourself or learning more about them please visit the US site or the Canadian site.
For those of you that have been reading me for a while now, you may recall that I was lucky enough to win my first pair of Altra Intuition‘s from the sweetest Beth when the shoes first made their debut in the running world.
I couldn’t wait to see how the Intuition 1.5’s stacked up as not only a zerodrop shoe but also as the zerodrop running shoe I had grown to love.
ALTRA INTUITION 1.5:
- ZeroDrop™ Platform with Full Cushioning
- Weight: 7.7oz
- Midsole: 12mm; Dual Layer EVA with A-Bound Top Layer
- Outsole: 4.5 mm FootPod Outsole
- Total Stack Height: 22mm
- 2 included insoles: 5mm Sculpted and 3mm Strengthen
- Upper: Quick Dry Air Mesh
- Liner: Full Length Seamless inner lining with Premium Drilex Collar Lining
- Asymmetric Lacing
- Other Features: Innovative Foot-Shaped Design, Female-Specific Design
What does ZeroDrop mean?
- Zerodrop shoes place your forefoot and your heel at the exact same height. Unlike your traditional runners that place extra cushioning on the heel (usually at a 2:1 ratio), allowing you to run improperly, the zerodrop has even cushioning along the entire foot bed, enabling your feet to feel protected while allowing natural running performance.
[zero drop on the men’s original Instinct from the website]
The Foot-Shaped Toe Box:
- Whenever someone would comment on my Altras shape I used to tell them that their wide-toe box was one of the main features that set Altra apart, however it’s not that their toe-box is wide, it’s that it’s shaped like a FOOT!
- The toe box allows your forefoot and toes to act as they would while barefoot. Toes can splay naturally and as your foot swells while running there’s plenty of room. The ride is always comfortable and allows for better performance by maximizing shock absorption and thus better toe off.
[foot in shoe comparison from the website]
Gender Specific Design:
- Altra has thought of everything! Let me tell you both Colin and I run in Altras and there are sex specific changes that Altra has made that allow their shoes to perform optimally for each gender. Altra said Goodbye to the “Shrink it – Pink it!” technique that other companies do and has made their shoes with a females foot in mind.
- Parts that I’ve noticed specifically are the narrower heel (when comparing them to my husband instincts) and extra cushioning where I need it.
[female specific design from the website]
I won’t lie to you, after a year of learning to run in a “high heel” cushioning shoe, switching over to a zerodrop shoe proved difficult. I wasn’t prepared for my pace to slow down at first or my feet to hurt as they learned to run properly and built up their strength.
Thankfully the Altra Intuition makes the journey to healthier running easy, it’s the most comfortable shoe that my foot has ever had the pleasure of running in. It’s slipper-like feel attracted me enough that I decided to continue to incorporate them into my shorter runs and eventually I was running in the original Intuition for all of my runs excluding long runs.
After my tried and tested regular “high heel shoes” began giving me issues I decided to fully commit to my Altras. I started slowly building up with the new 1.5’s for my LSD runs and now I can comfortably do a half marathon distance in them.
[from Christina’s Post]
- The biggest changes made in the female Intuition & the male Instinct 1.5 compared to the originals were made to the upper part of the shoe. Looks wise the shoes got a whole lot sexier! They also made the fabric lighter taking some weight off and adding to the breathability of the shoe. They adjusted cushioning and overall fine-tuned everything allowing for an awesome toe off and a faster feel.
What I liked:
- Slipper-like feel
- Great support while running.
- Full cushioning for a comfy ride even on concrete.
- Two-foot bed options: support with arch and strengthening for flat. I liked that I could use the support insole at first and then switch over to the strengthening one as my feet toughened up.
- Foot-shaped toe box <— this really is my favourite feature!
- Nice grip on outside sole for most surfaces, even snow. (not great on ice)
- Excellent balance – comfy cushioning while still providing a natural running feel.
- Longer wear than most minimalist shoes.
- Lighter and more comfortable than the previous model.
- Flexible sole! allowing that natural running feel.
What I didn’t love:
- Sizing of the 1.5 is about a 1/4 – 1/2 inch bigger than the previous model. I wish this was specified on their site. I was an 8 1/2 in the original intuition and these 8 1/2’s feel a bit too big. (though it should be noted that Altras are designed to fit bigger than your average runner)
The Bottom Line:
The Altra Intuition 1.5 is the best of both worlds; a minimalist shoe with the cushioning you get from your traditional neutral runner. This is a great shoe for anyone looking to start running properly or for a seasoned runner that wants to make the switch to a minimalist shoe but enjoys the added cushioning available in the Intuition/Instinct. If you’re someone that has forefoot pain, shin injuries or blacken toenails you should really try to grab a pair of Altras. Your feet won’t know what happened – This is BY FAR the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever tried on. I would recommend them to anyone!
I definitely can’t see myself running in anything else. Once you get through all the transitioning your speed comes back and running feels easier and more efficient.
Chris at Entrix Sports was nice enough to offer one of you lucky readers a pair of your very own! Both the Intuition 1.5 and the Instinct 1.5 are expected to be fully stocked by the end of the month! you can now get them in CANADA!!! get excited I know I am!!!
- Like Altra Running on Facebook and tell me that you did in the comments!
Additional Entries: (leave a separate comment for each)
- Follow Altra on Twitter
- Go to the Entrix Sports website and tell me why you want to try Altra ZeroDrop shoes!
- SHARE THIS GIVEAWAY!!!!
- FREE ENTRY for RwS Facebook Fans!
*GIVEAWAY CLOSES Sunday February 24th at 10PM EST a winner will be randomly drawn and posted on Monday the 25th.* Open to Canadian and US residents only.
* Giveaway was edited but all previous entries are valid *