I am not excited about running in pain for Around the Bay BUT I am really excited about the race itself. It is SOOOOO much fun! The venue is amazing. I’ve never seen so many spectators or runner comroderie as I have at ATB I am sad that I won’t get to see the Grim Reaper at the 28th km or finish for my team at Copps BUT I am excited that Lyndsey will get to experience all that is – the last and most difficult part of ATB <—- have fun!
I can’t help but get excited when I get to run WITH spatulas!!!!! you really haven’t lived till you’ve done it. It’s not only hilarious and weird, it’s fun
I have NO goals for this race other than SURVIVE. I would ideally like to finish the 15k in under 2hrs to give Lyndz maximum time to finish her tougher leg. We have to be done in 4.5hours combined. I wasn’t worried about that at all, but now, I am.
My knee was unable to run without pain…..until yesterday! When I managed 4.1 miles of pain free running!!!!! So, this gives me hope and I’m going to do my best. I’ll speed walk if I have to
I’ve googled some KT tape options for my injuries and plan to use them. I love the stuff and figure – why not prepare for the worst…but expect the best. Isn’t that how the saying goes??
Since I’m not “racing” this race. I’ll be taking it really easy and listening to my body. Ideally I’d love to run 11 min miles (which is a min and a half slower than my half marathon pace) including a minute of walking – as after today’s successful run I think 10 and 1′s are the way to go.
Thankfully I’ll have Paul, who’s pacing the 3:30 ATB and also doing 10 and 1′s. I think I can stick with his group. If not, then whatever but I’ll start with him anyway
My TOP 5 Reasons to latch onto Paul for dear life!!!
- His last name is Radcliffe!!!! …..if his first name had an “A” on the end I’d be basically running with an elite athlete. I’ll take it!!!
- He’s an engineer….and so is Lyndsey. I feel like it just makes sense to use one engineer to get to another. They have the RING of power!!!
- He’s very organized – his latest post tells you exactly how this race is going to be INCLUDING self documented video footage of the course…and FYI the elevation chart is hilarious!!
- If I can’t keep up he won’t throw me a pity party and wait. He’s PACING the race….I either keep up, or shut up
- I’m assuming that he’s pretty introverted?? and I’m not….at all. So they’re my favourite
Anyway, as I was saying….
Since I’m not “racing” my only goal is to get to Lyndsey.
I have decided to treat this week like a regular running week. I’m going to continue running by TIME elapsed, not distance and I plan to increase my running times and take Saturday off so Sunday I can race. I think this will not only make my mind relax a little more, but also set my body up for a long run. <—- which is what Sunday’s race now is for me
I’m still doing my rehab exercises and I hope I feel as good as I did yesterday on Sunday.
Anyone planning on doing their spatula race “with” us ATB peeps on Sunday??
Do you think it’s smart to just increase my mileage since I haven’t run in 3 weeks??
I don’t see any other way that I’ll be able to run this without crashing other than upping my mileage this week- NO TAPER needed
have you ever run a race with a pacer??/
Tips for racing with an injury??? what do you do to prep??